The Learning Centre has developed a range of online academic skills resources to assist students to develop and hone the wide variety of the academic and communication skills required for successful study. We encourage UNSW colleagues to link to relevant resources in their Moodle courses.
The Learning Centre's academic skills resources can be found on the UNSW Current Students website.
Our resources include:
- Some of the online study guides explain how to write various types of uni assignments, such as essay writing basics, critical reviews, annotated bibliographies and reflective writing assignments.
- Other guides help students to plan assignments, answer assignment questions, and to edit assignment drafts.
- Guides to Introducing quotations and paraphrases and paraphrasing, summarising, quoting, punctuation. and transition signals in writing help with cohesion and flow.
- Various guides like studying for exams and surviving exams offers tips for efficient study and getting through the exam period in one piece.
- Different types of exams require different approaches; see Multiple choice exams, Essay exams and Open book and take home exams.
- Tips for planning time and spreading your work to avoid a 'traffic jam'. Includes tips for Long and short term planning and some Tips for mature-age students.
- Guides to Technical writing, Lab reports, Report writing guide and Case study report in (engineering) outlines the basics of these kinds of assignments.
- Honours thesis in Engineering is a comprehensive guide discussing the nuts and bolts of thesis writing, including structure, writing tools and answers to frequently asked questions.
The following websites provide useful resources: